Friday, January 31, 2014

Growing in and sharing the Lord in Kampala.

The Elder Workshops have begun.  Starting with Ezekiel 34:1-34, we first learned that shepherds always respond to the flock, and those outside the flock, with gentleness and prayer.  We were challenged to consider our own conflict styles and be disciplined to control our own conflict style.  We found elders should lead with submission and humility.  Ultimately, the elder seeks for the flock to become more like Christ.

In the elder workshops, we looked closely at 1 Timothy 3: 3-7 and Titus 1:5-9. We learned about the ideals of an elder and the type of person that would make a good elder.  We saw how Paul wrote to Timothy and Titus about elders, but used a little different description for each.  With an aim to identify a person who is blameless, the two letters give descriptions for a person who might be considered blameless although not perfect.






Overall, all of the workshops have gone exceptionally well from the perspective of the Ugandans.  Collectively, when we contemplate what we have learned and discussed, we find it is very difficult to describe the immense value.  Additionally, we have been pleased to see not only the leaders but also members of the church participate.  As the Church moves forward to lead in the cause of Christ, they have taken the first very large step of many to move forward.

Attendees continue to be challenged to consider as they seek Biblical truths as they apply in Uganda, what are they bringing over from American traditions and what are they bringing over from African ancestry?

Now, a little of another view … I believe North Central certainly values our Senior Minister, Steve.  However, I wish I could convey how much I have appreciated seeing him devote himself to the church at NC, at KCC and for the love of all people, in general.  Daily, I have seen him continue to grow in the Lord as he graciously shares the Lord.  I am gaining so much from hearing his lessons every day.  My prayer is that all of NC could hear these same lessons at some point soon.   And, the team that Steve and Leslie makes is one that I would hope for all my friends in marriages. 

Here is a great Steve Kenney quote: “God’s word never changes:  Once I have read it, why do I read it again? Because I have changed.  Every time I read it, I get a different view ... like when I climb a mountain and look out as I climb higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment