Monday, June 17, 2013

Thanking God for Fathers.


Today is Father’s Day in the USA.  Carmen and I are thanking God for our Fathers and an opportunity to talk with them this evening.  There are so many children without Fathers here in Uganda, that we are deeply reminded of the great blessing of having a Father who is living, well and loves the Lord.

Many were at church today including some that I was not able to see last week.  Vital and his family are a family that I hadn’t seen for a while. When I was here with the Wilkins and the Whittington’s, Vital and his wife Safi  were just in the process of being married.  We attended some of the “wedding meetings”  where funds were raised in a fun and creative way.  Anyway, since then, Vital who had been a Congolese refuge, now goes back to the Congo every three months to work in a gold mine.  He is very interested in starting a church within the camp where he stays while working.  We have exchange email addresses and I hope to encourage him.  He has been a great encouragement to the church in Kampala and considers this his home.

Yesterday, we took a walk to the store and passed a young man sleeping in the dirt alongside the street.  His feet had been removed.  He was sleeping under a piece of cardboard with flies all over him.  I am very troubled by seeing this.  I don’t even know how to help someone like this.  All I could think of was to put a bag of peanuts in his hand.  He didn’t even move when I opened his hand.  I am so thankful that this life is short compared to eternity.  I am very grateful that while this life does not always present hope, we can have hope in our future and our eternal life. 

As Isaac always says, “God is Good.”
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment